Global Food Security Needs More than Just Cropland
IMPROVING PRODUCTIVITY ON EACH EXISTING ACRE IS CRITICAL TO FEED THE GROWING POPULATION
Mosaic’s mission is to help the world grow the food it needs. And as one of the world’s largest producers and marketers of concentrated phosphates and potash crop nutrients, we are acutely aware of the role we play in helping provide food to feed a population that is expected to grow to 9 billion people by 2050.
Farmers around the globe use our potash and phosphate products to help nourish their crops and optimize the food they can grow on every acre of farmland. But the sustainability and resilience of agriculture is about more than just yields – truly productive agricultural systems have widespread and beneficial outcomes for growers, the environment and society. We are advancing agricultural productivity in many ways:
- Providing agronomic expertise and collaborating with stakeholders across the agricultural value chain to promote best practices. We encourage implementation of methods that achieve the benefits of fertilizer while reducing the impact of food production on the environment. Read more about the 4R Nutrient Stewardship Initiative.
- Promoting our performance product portfolio. Our premium products like MicroEssentials® and Aspire® help growers achieve key agricultural outcomes, including increased yields which have a direct impact on food security and farmer prosperity. Read more about our products and returns on investment for specific crops through our AgriFacts Database.
- Developing innovative products and conducting small plot trials. In line with Mosaic’s strategic priority to Grow and Strengthen Our Product Portfolio, Mosaic is exploring products and solutions that address agricultural challenges, boost interactions between micro-organisms within the soil microbiome, and yield mutual benefits for Mosaic and its customers. We also maintain partnerships with industry-leading research centers, targeting agriculture efficiency and productivity improvements. We conduct laboratory studies, greenhouse work and small plot trials around the globe to explore and document the effectiveness of our products.
- Partnering with organizations that are advancing this important work:
- Global Agricultural Productivity Initiative at Virginia Tech University, U.S.: capturing and measuring agricultural advancements that increase productivity empowering society to meet global food demand sustainably.
- Krishi Jyoti India: a community-centered approach to close the yield gap by bringing modern agricultural tools and products to more farmers in India. Sehgal Foundation, Mosaic, and The Mosaic Company Foundation partner with farmers and community leaders to develop the needed infrastructure and capacity to nourish their communities sustainably.